Monday, September 21, 2015

Easy, Yummy White Bread

I always felt like bread was out of my league and anything with yeast scared me! But I was really wanting to master the art of bread!
So I decided to give this recipe a try and it's a home run!!
I tried a few different ways before I felt like it was perfect and now I have this recipe down pact and feel like I can conquer yeast!

One of the best parts about this recipe is there aren't that many ingredients!
Mix your water, yeast and honey (or sugar) in a large bowl and let sit for 2 mins or until it's frothy to activate the yeast. 
* Make sure your water isn't hot. You just want it luke warm.*

Once the yeast is activated add the salt, oil and flour. Mix well and turn onto a clean, floured counter. 
Knead for 10 mins. No longer, no less! It's worth it and a great work out too! 
Add more flour little by little if needed. You don't want your dough to be sticky. 
Place kneaded dough back into bowl, cover with towel and place in a warm spot.
Let rise until doubled. 
*I always put my dough on the stove and preheat my oven.*
Pull dough from bowl and separate into 2 equal parts. Knead out the air bubbles and shape. 
Don't be afraid to work the dough! You don't air bubbles in your bread! 
* I can't make even, pretty loaves for the life of me!*
Cover and put back in warm spot until doubled in size again. 
Once doubled out into preheated oven and cook for 18 mins. (You may need more or less time depending on your oven. You want the top to be darker golden brown.)


The Recipe:
2 (.25 ounce) packages Active Dry Yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons)
3 tablespoons Honey (You can use White Sugar)
2 1/2 cups Warm Water
 3 tablespoons Oil 
(I use Vegetable Oil but you can use any other kind. You can also substitute for melted margarine or lard.)
1 tablespoon Salt ( I do a heaping tablespoon)
6 1/2 cups Flour (I prefer unbleached)

Directions:
In a large bowl mix yeast and honey in warm water. Let sit for 2 mins or until frothy. 
Stir in oil, salt and two cups of the flour. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. 
Place the dough back in the bowl and cover with cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves. Place the loaves into two lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves with a cloth and let rise until doubled in volume.
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.


We enjoy our bread with butter and homemade peach jam or cinnamon sugar! 
This bread also makes great sandwiches and yummy french toast!
If you have any questions please feel free to ask! 
~T


No comments:

Post a Comment